03 October 2009

Training Begins

So much has happened since I was last able to post. As a heads up it looks like I will not be able to use the internet regularly. Consequently I am sending Kevin letters to post online when he gets the chance. But it takes several weeks for letters to arrive so the information will be dated.

Here is a quick update of what my weekdays look like during training. We are very busy:

5:30 - wake up
5:45 - go running with my host uncle (about 6k) I am not sure if he actually likes to go running but they will not let me go alone
6:30 - shower, and by that I mean take a bucket bath; try it sometime and if you want to be adventurous use cold water!
7:00 - eat breakfast, by that I mean a piece of bread and some warm vanilla flavored milk
7:15 - leave for class
7:30-9:30 - first session of the day
9:30-10:00 - break, hopefully on monday we will get coffee on our break for the first time!
10:00-12:00 - second session of the day
12:00-1:30 - lunch break, we walk about 25 minutes to a restaurant
1:30-3:00 - third session
3:15-4:30 - fourth and last session
[we usually have about two french classes and two technical classes, but also we have cross cultural sessions and medical sessions sometimes (where we get vaccines :(]
4:30-5:30 - hang out with other trainees to unwind, play cards, etc.
5:30-8:30 - go home and do homework with my family, help with chores, etc.
9:00 - dinner [very very late for me I want to be in bed by around 7:30 because the sun goes down at 6:30 and the electricity goes out almost every night for some amount of time]
9:30 - read for as long as I can manage before I fall asleep

Then repeat they cycle for each day of the week! By the end of the week I am very tired and in need of a break.

I feel like there is so much to say, but it is really hard to organize all of my thoughts. Where I am living right now is in the mountains of the West Province. The view is breathtaking and reminds me of Colorado. If you have ever heard me talk about Colorado or seen Colorado, maybe you can understand how I feel about it.

That is all I have time for right now!

5 comments:

  1. No coffee!!! Yikes. I hope that gets resolved soon. It sounds like there are some major adjustments going on. I know you were expecting that but I'm sure it must be difficult. I know how much you enjoyed the beauty of Colorado so I'm glad you have similar views to enjoy in Cameroon. It's good to hear from you. Be safe.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coffee can certainly be a "comfort food" as well as a necessity! Kudos for diligently running. I'm glad your enjoying the surroundings. I know your absorbing the info in your training sessions like a sponge. Stay safe.
    Aunt Olga

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah I hope you are safe Tina, Im proud of everything you are doing, it sounds tough but I but you love it. Its good to hear from you at least through your blog, take care, I miss you!
    ~Ans

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. It's Kevin's uncle Ed. This all sounds so exciting- even the bus ride. I am sure you are anxious to get to work and be done with all the training. The cole slaw like salad would get old after a bit. I bet you would love a butterscotch krimpet from TastyKake. Take care of yourself and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AH Chrissie,

    Live leasons can be fun. Don't wear out your host Voochu the way you did me when you were a kid. :O)~. We miss you and hope you are doing well.
    Love Dabug

    ReplyDelete