10 October 2009

Quickly

I wish that I could post pictures, but unfortunately I lost my camera charger. My mom is sending me a package with a new one so hopefully soon I can upload some pictures for everyone!

Today I had to take a bush taxi to Bangante with a few other trainees. This was the first time that we had to do it ourselves without the Peace Corps vans. It took me almost two hours just to catch a ride and then the car almost broke down on the way. Good thing I was not in a rush. C'est la vie here in Africa! That is one thing I realized that I took for granted in the states: each year cars have to pass emissions tests and inspections, not so in Cameroon. Thus any car that can move is on the road. This means lots of black smoke coming from all the cars and they all look like they are falling apart. But it is good to know that I can get around on a taxi if I need to. I still have not taken a moto taxi, here yet but I am looking forward to it.

We just finished our third or ten weeks of training. It feels like things are moving fast. Next week we have language interviews again to get replaced. And we get mountain bikes! One more degree of freedom here I come.

That is all the time I have for now, but it is so nice to hear from everyone with comments on my blog and such.

3 comments:

  1. So my car would fit in there?? Haha Mountain bikes sounds great! I love reading your updates, keep them coming! Be safe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nice to read your post. Hope you get that charger soon so we can see what your life in Africa is like.

    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm going to look at car inspections in a more positive way after reading this. Putting limits on black smoke is a fine thing. The mountain bikes sound like a fun way to travel. Hope they get there soon. Enjoy the freedom.
    It's good to hear from you. Take care and stay safe.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete