21 September 2009

Yaounde

Where to begin, I have no idea… There is so much that has happened! I guess I will try to go in chronological order and go off on tangents as they happen.

Friday afternoon we landed and took our first trip in a bush taxi to our hotel. Bush taxis, hmm, how do I describe them. They are like skinny mini vans, some people may know them as jitney buses. They have about 12 seats in them, but we squish around 18 people in them. It is a very snug fit so there is no need for seat belts, we have each other.

Meals are very starchy and fatty. I was told this prior to coming but did not actually expect it. Breakfasts are very small so we have a piece of baguette and then café au lait. I am told that the coffee that we are getting at the hotel is unusual and next week when we are at our homestays it will be Nescafe. Maybe I will start trying some tea. We use sugar cubes here, which is taking some getting used to as well since I love splenda.

Lunch and dinner seem to be identical thus far, though when we start training it will be different. We have rice and potatoes and some veggies for me (others get meat or fish). And we get a coleslaw-like salad or other cut up raw veggies (no lettuce). Apparently this is also not normal, but the hotel trying to be fancy. Then we get a piece of fruit for dessert.

Saturday we started by having language and site placement interviews. This is so that we can start language classes with people on the same level of as us. And we get to talk to the placement officer about our preferences and our skills so that we can be placed appropriately for our two year service. We also took a survey bout homestay preferences. I am so excited to move into our families. We will be moving to Bamena on Thursday where we will move in with our new families for the next 10 weeks.

Sunday nothing too exciting, though we did go for a walk. While we are in the hotel we are not allowed outside because we do not have national ID cards yet. We also had dinner at the country director’s house.

Other random thoughts.
There is a night club below my hotel room and so it is hard to fall asleep before 3am (when the club closes). I am hoping to check it out sometime this week since we will soon be moving to smaller villages where we are going to spend nights with our host families.

It is a very nice temperature outside and not as rainy as I expected. But the rest of the month and October are supposed to be the rainiest times. The whole atmosphere sort of reminds me of Aruba, even the smell (although I have not seen the ocean yet). So in that respect I like it a lot. Lots of palm trees, really green everywhere even though we are in a city and rich/dark reddish muddy ground except for the main paved roads.

The Peace Corps seems to be protecting us a lot right now so as to transition well. I am trying not to question the rules too much and to understand them through their intended purpose. I want to be the most successful volunteer I can be and the training process seems to be well thought out for that purpose.

I had my first Cameroonian beer (I think its local) last night – Castel Beer. Nothing to special to speak of, but not bad. Hopefully soon I will get to try several different kinds.

I think that is it for now, if you have questions you could make a comment and then I will try to post a blog about it. I would love to hear from lots of people!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you made it to Cameroon okay and that you have internet access! I miss you so much already, thanks for keeping us updated with the blogging :)I can't wait to hear more about what you're up to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for a successful and safe trip!! Already missing you like crazy (actually picked up my phone to call you this weekend and had to stop myself haha) Keep up the good blogging and please stay safe and healthy <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear from you so soon! Miss you already.

    I'm glad that you arrived safely.
    Sounds like an interesting experience so far.
    Stay safe, try more local beer, and keep the updates coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your doing well. love reading about your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting everything must be right now! Your journey has only just begun, and it sounds like you are taking things well. I'm really going to enjoy reading about your experiences as a PeaceCorps volunteer in Cameroon, and I hope you get plenty of chances to update the blog! Although, I certainly understand if you can't...I would personally want to soak up everything and spend as much time as possible experiencing.

    Miss you very much big sis. Hope you like the new family you will be living with!

    ReplyDelete