16 February 2010

Lost in Translation

I am often reminded of the cultural differences, which may seem obvious to everyone in the United States. But honestly Cameroon is starting to feel like home which allows me to feel comfortable. Recently, though I have had a few cases where I am reminded that I am in another country.

For Valentine’s Day I was constantly reminding Alain (Rose-my counterpart-‘s husband) that this is the day where he should do nice things for her. For example he could cook, give her flowers or chocolates, etc. So then on V-day he told me that this fete lasts for a few days so he would not be doing anything on Sunday, but the next day instead. So then last night he decided that he was going to cook dinner – for her, I thought. Then night time comes and I get an invitation to their house. When I get there Alain is almost finished cooking and Rose, as it turns out, is working at the center after hours because someone was giving birth. He got the memo about making dinner, but I guess I did not emphasize the fact that it was for his wife enough. On va faire comment?

But he was so happy with himself for cooking (husbands here do not prepare food generally), so I guess it was a good experience. And the food was good too: spaghetti with tomato sauce and french fries!

I was visiting my friends the Bororos up in the mountains the other day, they are the muslim herder tribe. The one women, Djanabo, told me that should would gladly braid my hair. So of course I accepted and let her braid my hair. But then when she was about half way through I realized that she was randomly cutting ends off of some of the braids. I am non-confrontational so I did not even say that I knew she was doing it. I have gone through a few emotions from this experience. At first it was sadness, why was she deceiving me? I think I even hit on a little bit of anger after that: what right did she have to cut my hair without asking me? But now I am simply at curiousity: what would bring her to do something like that? All in all I think it is a cultural difference, in the states people do not cut others hair unless they are specifically asked to do so ( or maybe they are a devious little child who thinks it would be fun). My counterpart is asking around to try and figure out why they would do that. I know that they are intrigued by my hair because they often touch it and comment on it. Maybe they are just interested.

The last little story I have is about making a cake. So apparently here there is a belief that when a woman is menstruating she should not prepare things that you have to mix: cake, koki, soap. The other day we made two cakes the women’s group in BambouĂ©. The first cake we made was a carrot cake. Rose mixed that one up, but left shortly after because I think she remember that she had her period. Next we made banana bread. Another women mixed that up and we put them in the marmite oven together. What would you know, the carrot cake did not turn out, but the banana bread was excellent! I have not been able to understand why this phenomenon happens, but who understands everything they believe?

2 comments:

  1. It's not really such a small world after all. Customs certainly can differ. The hair thing is really crazy. I think she probably just thought it would look better if the ends were even. I'm sure she doesn't realize that in this country cutting someone's hair without asking is practically a crime.

    I had a call from your Mom. What a nice surprise. She's very proud of you. So am I. Mom's are like that.
    Stay safe, Christina.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, I'm also betting the hair-trimming was in the interests of getting those ends even -- but of course that even-ness is only apparent when those particular braids are in!

    Do you know we are expecting the 4th blizzard of the season her in PA? This next event is being called a "snow-i-cane" because the winds are expected to peak at 50+ mph. Most of us are counting the days to spring . . .

    My class is working this week on cultural differences with respect to "time" (you remember, my favorite subject). If you find time, could you offer a summary of what you've learned about the Cameroonian experience of time?
    Love,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete