17 May 2009

One Step Closer

Finally I am beginning to tie up all the loose ends in my life. I will officially graduate from Lehigh with a Masters in Sociology tomorrow. I just finished grading the final exams of all three classes I taught this semester.
Everything is coming to a close.
Tomorrow will be mostly about celebrating the accomplishments that my peers and I have completed throughout our time at Lehigh. But it will also be full of goodbyes.
The epitome of bitter-sweet.

I have had a truly amazing experience at Lehigh and sometimes I wonder how different everything (myself included) would be if I had gone somewhere else. I do not want to leave my friends, but I know that I am ready to step outside of my comfort zone and explore the world.
Mauritania here I come!

I have not even begun to pack yet. How am I supposed to fit my life into two bags weighing a total of 80 pounds? It will take me a whole van to move out of my current residence.
So far here is my list of things I need to buy:
- short wave radio
- internal frame backpack
- head lamp
- leatherman pocket knife
- shammy/camping towel
- long skirts
- 3 month supply of toiletries
- 10 pound bag of rice sticks
- loose running pants
- lots of batteries
- sewing kit

I am sure there will be other things I need to buy, but that is what I have for now.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Christina,

    Congrats on graduating and on taking on the challenge of becoming a PCV! Your blog popped up on the Mauritania Google news alerts. I'm a GEE volunteer in Kobenni in eastern RIM, and I'll be one of your trainers this summer. Good luck with the preparation, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask anything...my email is anna.bauer at gmail.com

    See you soon!
    Anna Bauer

    ReplyDelete